Loved the book.. here are the popular highlights..
Chapter 1: Unconditioned Thinking
- What I thought we really ought to be doing was saying what does my experience teach me needs to be done that nobody’s attending to?
- So I thought I would have to do everything I could to uncondition myself from anything I learned to believe, and go totally on what I had learned by experience. My thinking must always be experience.
Chapter 2: Process to Find Purpose
- You’ll find out in due course whether if what you’re doing is what you should be doing, because you’ll find yourself surviving by what seems to be pure accident, absolute pure accident. No direct connection whatsoever.
Chapter 3: Future Thinking
- I saw one thing that individuals can do right away and do it fast is think. A bureaucrat just isn’t allowed to think. You’re not going to be able to make a difference involved with that. Most of the thinking immediately involves you in seeing things that need to be donethat are going to take 45 years, 50 years, maybe 100 years. No corporation or political system will have the time horizon in view. They can’t afford it, the payoff isn’t there. I found society really tied up with very shortsighted way, with this year’s profit, this year’s crop, this year’s politics, next election.
Chapter 4: Evolutionary Tranformations
- The mechanism was the ability to commit yourself to think about what needs to be thought about, whatever the size of the thing. Not worrying about time, not worrying about how you’re going to pay for things. But to really commit yourself, you must work very hard at it. You must do everything possible that is intelligent.
- Another thing I decided was to never ask anybody to listen to me. I woudl only talk to human beings when they ask me to talk to them. I’m still very, very strict about this. I’m confident that people are not listening when you ask them to listen to you. They ony listen to you when they ask you to talk to them.
- I must go into physical actions, and not just give my idea to somebody else to execute, or try to persuade other people.
- I’m talking about an environmental alteration, rather than trying to reform human beings.
- Environment to each must be, all there is that isn’t me. Universe in turn must be, all there is that isn’t me, and me.
- I saw we were all processes. Whether we like it or not, we are chemical processes. A great deal of our time is preoccupied in attending to those processes. Anything I might do to accommodate your processes in less time would give you more time to really live. If I could cut down the numbers of hours and minutes that anybody else has to put into taking care of a chore, then that woudl allow them to have more time to pursue their own direction.
Chapter 5: Ordering Experience
Chapter 6: Results
- One of the most important things to bear in mind is that there’s nothing one can budget. You can’t say I’m going to be able to afford to do that at all. You just have to say, what needs to be done and what do you need to know in order to be able to do it completely?